I know, winter’s officially over, but nobody seems to have told Mother Nature. So today I’m posting a dish using winter stuff, but that doesn’t feel too much like winter. Also, the main ingredient is dirt cheap, but made to feel special by using tiny amounts of pricier store cupboard items.
Although it’s available all year, cabbage is a quintessential winter vegetable in my mind. It comes in many shapes and sizes, all of which seem to last forever, just like winter! This ‘recipe’ is really just a quick way I like to prepare cabbage. If preparing for more than two or three people, you will want to make a bigger batch of dressing.
|1 -2||Leaves cabbage per person|
|1 teaspoon||Elderflower cordial (or similar light syrup)|
|1 teaspoon||Balsamic vinegar|
|¼ teaspoon||Poppy seeds|
- Wash cabbage leaves and trim off any unsightly bits
- Cut leaves in half along the central vein.
- Slice fine across the leaves, making shreds about ¼ inch wide.
- Place in microwavable bowl with a splash of water; cover loosely.
- Microwave at high (800W) for one to two minutes, enough to soften the cabbage, but not cook fully.
- Drain excess water.
- Mix together remaining ingredients and stir into cabbage.