A winter warmer that can be a homely main course for two, or an attractive side dish for four. The somewhat sweet flavour of the parsnips is balanced by the warm ginger in the leeks and the sharp contrast of the strong cheese. I use all leftovers to make this, but you could easily make it all from fresh, allowing extra time to cook the parsnips first.
|1 cup||Creamy ginger leeks (see my recipe under the ‘recipes’ tab)|
|2 cups||Mashed parsnips|
|4 oz||Cheddar or blue cheese|
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4.
- Grease a medium casserole OR four ramekins.
- Spread the leeks in the bottom of the casserole/divided equally between the ramekins.
- Spread the mashed parsnip evenly over the leeks.
- Shred the cheddar or crumble the blue cheese on top of the mash.
- Bake uncovered for ½ hour. Cheese should be melted and a bit crunchy on top.
Serve with crusty bread.